Monday, April 27, 2009

Not Me! Monday - Marathon Edition

Welcome to another Monday, folks... This little game that I have been doing was started by MckMamma at MyCharmingKids.net Go check out her site - it's impressive and she probably doesn't have a post as this is WEEK 5 of her baby being in the hospital for SVT and heart related issues!! But my denial continues...

I am sure you did NOT miss the title of this post... I promise, this is the NOT the last time you will hear about this marathon. But quite a few things did NOT happen at my Country Music Marathon. If things did happen, some would be funny and some would NOT be funny...

  • I did NOT spend 8+ hours in the brutal sunshine without sunscreen. That would be stupid. But if that were the case, I would NOT be bright red on my ears, face, scalp, shoulders, and back of my neck...
  • I did NOT study which marathon to run. I did NOT base my choice on average temperature and the elevation chart. I did NOT pick wrong. It was NOT 86 degrees on this course! I did NOT know that a 200' hill really is like a mountain to someone in Florida. I do NOT train on flat ground, so I would be ready for any hill that came my way. And since I live in Florida, the heat should NOT be a big deal.
  • I did NOT buy this new hydration pack. I did NOT figure out the leak. I did NOT fill it with water and then have it leak all over me before I even left the hotel room. I did NOT leave my trusty waist belt at home. So I did NOT run for the first time ever with my new backpack. It was NOT a pain in the butt because anytime I wanted something, I had to stop running, unhook it, and take it off. You know, any seasoned runner KNOWS NOT to try anything new on the day of a marathon. So I most certainly would NOT break that rule.
  • Speaking of that rule, I would NOT forget my breakfast that morning... I would NOT have only one package of Sharkies and so I would NOT supplement it with a beverage I have NEVER trained with. That would be stupid. The above combination would most certainly not contribute to the stomach ache I had.
  • I did NOT get up at 4:15 am, get to the shuttle by 5 am and then the start line by 5:30 am only to wait around 2 hours before the race started. That would be stupid. We know I am not stupid...
  • I would NOT sit on a huge pallett of ice bags when I finally finished the marathon. It would not feel really good on aching muscles...
  • Since my time was anything but stellar, I am NOT planning my next marathon...
And this one, I am NOT ashamed of... My pride was NOT hurt when Krystal, who didn't train for this marathon, walked the whole thing and finished before me. I was NOT mad at her because I am a great, supportive friend who would only celebrate her accomplishments. But if I were to be mad, I would NOT be feeling better when she could barely walk that night or the next day or the next... I do NOT feel better when she is in pain and I don't hurt much... I keep telling myself that she should finish before me - she is 20 lbs lighter, 11 years younger, and has not had 2 babies - and she didn't stop to help the lady who passed out...

There it is... the good, the bad and the ugly!
Kristin

1 comment:

Prachar family said...

WOW, that was a lot to overcome!! I am not sure I would have gone through with it after the breakfast incident! I bet you are so glad its behind you and for all you learned! Hills would be shocking!! Thanks for the laughs as usual!