Sunday, May 23, 2010

Paddling the canoe


On Friday, I had the *joy* of going to another teacher in-service. I don't enjoy meetings on a good day, much less when there is only 9 days of school left in the year. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me...


I am not completely sure of the tie-in, but at one point we were each given a piece of Dove chocolate. We were to read the saying on the inside of the wrapper, reflect on it, and then share with others our reflection. I find these things a waste of my time, but being the *good* workshop attendee, I played along.


My saying said something about love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe.


I disagree with this saying.


There are many times that I am too tired to paddle my canoe and I ask others for their help. Sometimes they are paddling a while and sometimes it's just a quick break. Likewise, I have had the privilege of paddling for someone else.


So to those of you who have paddled for me, thank you! And for those of you who have let me paddle your canoe, thank you for trusting me! I keep repeating this theme - we have to be real with one another and support each other. This isn't a canoe regatta - there is no prize for the person who finishes first! The prize is for those who trust in God - and I think the winnings are even bigger when we support each other!


And for the trust few part... disagree. Maybe I should be this wary, but I generally trust until I've been burned. So far, it's worked well for me!

No comments: