Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Today's Optimistic Outlook Thought

For the last two days I have posted about trying to look at the bright side of having the cognitively impaired (or whatever politically correct phrase you want to use) children that God has blessed me with.

It started with the fact that there will always be the Easter bunny and Santa Claus. Then I talked about the joy they have and the huge smiles that light up their faces.

Today... I have more wiggle room when my kids act up or do something socially unacceptable. To those of you who don't know me, this may sound harsh and mean. But really, I believe in either laugh or cry - and I usually choose laugh...

So follow me here... We have been going to the playground a lot lately because the weather is superb! I prefer to sit and watch the boys play. (To justify my laziness, I say that I let them be independent.) Mark on the other hand is the good parent who plays with the boys. So when it's just me, the boys go up to random dads and ask them to play with them. The dads being the more playful gender, usually oblige and play "Nemo fish" or whatever other sand-toy-game they think of.

I am horrified and get up and go play or apologize or act involved. And the random dads don't seem to mind. They can tell after one word that these guys have some unique challenges and figure they better play!

I would like to try a little experiment and see if "normal" kids would get the same reaction from random guys. They probably wouldn't get the same percentage of playing-dads as Zach and Ryan get!

This is an example of the extra wiggle room I get when I take my children in public. You better believe I'm going to be thankful for it!

1 comment:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

That is something to be thankful for- and good that you recognize that!