Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Care Bears Song

So, I'm going about my normal Saturday morning routine of cleaning up, helping the kids play - or rather playing zookeeper and ringmaster - when a song comes on. The boys flipped through the channels and randomly landed on the kids music station. I rolled my eyes at the station, and then heard the words...

"I don't want to be like everybody else..."

Wow, that struck me, big time. Because that seems to be what's been on my mind a lot - in a variety of avenues.

I want to live a life that points to God. I want to stand apart. I don't think I'm doing a very good job at this and so I need to take a hard look at the choices I make and the things I say or don't say. That doesn't seem to be that common.
Also, we are getting our finances in shape and that means not living like everybody else. That means making the tough choice to not do something fun because we don't have the cash. That means putting off purchases until we have saved for it. That doesn't seem to be very common these days either.

So, like the Care Bears, I don't want to live like everybody else.

No comments: