Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wacky Wednesday (a.k.a. A Day Off With My "Sick" Kid)

We are just going to ignore the fact that his has been a kagillion years since I blogged last.

If you are a working mom, you probably understand the difficult decision as to whether or not your child is too sick for school.  I am never good at this guessing game.  Yesterday, I figured Zach was ok for school.  He had a fever by 3:30pm and was feeling pretty yucky when he got home.

I never gave him any ibuprofen or anything because I was making dinner. After about a half an hour, he was bouncing around and I figured the worst of it was over.  Around 6:15, I gathered the boys to take them to the playground.  Zach insisted he did not want to go and all of a sudden he crumpled up on the couch and stayed there until 8:30 pm.

Yes, the fever was back with a vengeance. I pretty much figured I wouldn't be going to work today...

Now we'll get the actual Wednesday part... I got up early to do my usual Wednesday morning workout.  I checked on Zach, but didn't take his temperature.  He felt a little warm, but not too bad.  I came home from my workout and Ryan was already up (Ugh.  Wacky event #1).  By 7am, I went to check on Z and his fever was somewhere around 101.  I say, somewhere, because I don't think our thermometer is accurate.  I ask Zach how he is feeling and he indicates he wants to stay home.  So, I call in sick.

Not even five minutes later, Zach comes bouncing out of his room.  He has changed clothes and is ready for school.  His eyes don't look too good - kind of that half open glazed look.  The fever appears to be gone and he hadn't coughed.  He pretty much wants to go to school.

Since I'm a teacher, I can't un-call-in because they order a sub for me. So we tell Z that he isn't going to school.  Tears, big, gigantic, meltdown tears.  And from that point on, we noticed he didn't have any coping skills.  I guess that is the "still sick" part of him.

Anyway, I get Ryan ready and while we finish the morning rituals, Zach is just getting so angry with Ryan.  Everything Ryan did made Zach mad.  Finally as Ryan and I go to wait for the bus, Zach says, "Hug?" and gives Ryan a hug and then he literally shoves him out the door.  I hear the click of the lock.

I give Zach his usual seizure meds, but skipped the ADHD meds thinking he would be mellow from his illness.

Wrong.  Very, very wrong.

He was pretty mellow in the morning - he watched cartoons and helped my clean out several drawers.  Then we went to the store.  Spaz.  While at Publix, he was reaching into the bulk candy (yes, with his grubby bare hands).  I pull his arm out and then lead him away - but without touching him.  He says, "Ow!!!" and I reply, "Let me guess, I'm hurting you."  (All the grandparents in the store got a chuckle out of this because they've been there and they are thankful those days are long gone...)

This is getting a bit wordy... So here are the quick wackiness events:
"Washing" my van with the dust mop - that he got wet.
Slithering on the ground like a snake.
Pulling all the kleenex out of the box and making it snow.
Trying to help with laundry by pouring half the bottle of detergent all over the floor.
Yelling at his socks because they are yucky and should go to their room.
Telling a towel that it is hurting him.
Singing to himself, naked, for a VERY long time. (This was after the towel hurt him.)
Wearing his underwear on his head (clean thankfully)
Not being able to go to the bathroom and saying his body is broken and he needs a new one.

And we still have 4 more hours to the day.

I definitely should have sent him to school.

No comments: