Saturday, September 19, 2009

Love Dare

Hmmm... going back to work has made me way too tired and brain dead to blog much! But I kicked everyone out today and was able to relax, clean, and think! Here's what's been on my mind...

I love Facebook! I love that I'm able to reconnect with "long lost" friends. I've moved around a few times and have left some good friends behind. Despite my best intentions, I am NOT good with keeping in touch. But with Facebook... it's easy-peasy!

Earlier this week a dear friend from college "friended" me. We were accountability partners for a brief time in college. So we decided we should become accountability partners again. Perfect timing - isn't God great how He does this stuff?

Anyway, so since she is my accountability partner, I shared with her some areas of my life that need work. I had never admitted my number one area to anyone before and it was really freeing to admit this. I am NOT the perfect wife. I am a horrible wife. I am not nice to my husband and I am not patient. Sure I might have my moments of kindness, but really, I wouldn't want to be married to me. There I said it. I'm just thankful that my husband wants to be married to me not sure why he wants to be married to me, though.

I asked Jen if she knew of any books that would help me be a much better wife and she suggested I read the Love Dare. I had the book; I just hadn't started the book because it's hard! But with Jen on my side, praying for me, helping me, and not judging me, I knew now is the time.

So I'm going to embark upon a challenge. I'm going to try really, really hard to love my husband the way God wants me to love him. I am going to fail at times, but I hope that I can get it right at times too. I wasn't going to tell Mark, but he reads the blog... (hi honey, thanks for putting up with me!)

I am supposed to do one dare a day, but I think it's going to take a little time to get this right. The first challenge? Patience!

God has such a good sense of humor... He is making me start with the one that is the hardest of all. Although I have a feeling each dare is going to be hard or it wouldn't be called a dare.

I am a little nervous about posting this on my blog, but I want to be transparent. I want to be real about who I am. So don't judge me! Pray for me!! Want to join me on these dares? I double dog dare you!

3 comments:

Beckie said...

I have the book but hadn't started it yet. Maybe this will be my encouragement to do it since someone else is also doing it as well. Have you seen teh movie? I need to get it still, it hit really hard to home for my husband and I and it's nice to know that just because things get tough, there are people who don't run away. We had some issues pop up a year ago and we patched things up and stayed together and worked really hard to make our marriage work afterward and I got nothing but judgment from our "friends" or from other people who happened to hear of it. My best friend was the one who took us both out to see the movie (we double dated actually) and then she bought me the book and was my encouragement. If it hadn't been for her, I'd probably have conformed to society's normal and okay thing of running away and leaving my marriage. This way, I did as God wanted me to and stayed and actually worked at it. :) Things are better than ever because of it I have noticed :)

I too adore facebook. It's easy to stay in touch with people and keeps it fun to meet others as well.

cookiehawk77 said...

Thanks for being transparent. You're not alone!
Carol Hawkins

Prachar family said...

Oh, NO! Patience is my downfall too! I will pray for you as you embark on this "dare"! We are starting a marriage small group at our church, or I would be taking your dare too! Maybe when you are done and can give me the cliff notes...